Working across several secondary schools surrounding Gravesham and beyond, the Active Row Kent Lead will develop a strong partnership with State Secondary Schools and deliver rowing sessions and extra-curricular clubs. The focus from September until March is Indoor Rowing, moving to On-Water rowing from April to August.
Pay and Working Hours
This is a part-time position, with minimum 15 hours per week required, but with the option to discuss further additional working hours. The salary for the role will be based on the agreed working hours, pro rata against a full time equivalent salary range of £23, 000 – £ 26,000 per annum.
The working hours are flexible, with a timetable suited to running school sessions, typically within the school day and before 5pm for any after school club. The timetable will alter from day to day, depending on the school and will be agreed with your line manager.
You will typically be required to work from a host school, remotely, but on some few allocated days will be required at the LYR Head Office (Royal Docks Adventure, Newham, E16 2QT)
Description of Role Responsibilities
- To set up indoor rowing sessions in each school, building participation to pre-determined and agreed goals and targets
- To develop strong relationships with each Partner School, specifically PE Teachers, Heads of Department and the Senior Management Team in Partner Schools
- To deliver engaging indoor rowing sessions, in schools, to new and existing participants. Delivery of high quality coaching and good engagement with young people who may be at risk of dropping out of sport and physical activity
- To work with and in partnership with Gravesend Rowing Club to deliver on water sessions for groups of young people at a time
- To engage and develop and build partnerships with stakeholders including Gravesend Rowing club and the PLA
- To deliver and teach Life Skills content in all sessions , promoting the development of Key Life Skills and transferable skills you young people via rowing and sport
- To liaise with and engage the PLA in Life Skills events and workshops and with young people in sessions
- To support and work alongside other LYR Staff in producing videos and resources to support schools and other organisations that LYR may work with.
- To confidently lead ‘On the water’ rowing sessions for schools and learn to row courses. LYR can provide training for development and qualification needed.
- Collection of weekly data and regular surveys of young people within set timeframe to ensure impact measurement
- To work with other LYR Coaches to deliver taster sessions and local and Area Indoor Rowing Competitions
- To help support the CPD of other LYR staff and coaches to lift the knowledge base of the organisation
- To work with our LYR staff to identify case studies and new content for social media and promotion
- To promote the pathway from the Indoor Rowing Clubs (School based) to a Community Satellite Club or Hub or onwards to a different sport if appropriate
- To ensure provision for Young People with Special Educational Needs or a Disability linking with internal and external SEN Co-ordinators
- To ensure each Partner School prepares young people to enter the LYR National Junior Indoor Rowing Championships to pre-determined and agreed goals and targets
- To attend the latest training and qualifications to keep up to date with Coaching experience
- To work with the LYR team to facilitate key events throughout the year
- To presenting a positive image of London Youth Rowing and partners at all times
- To represent the core values of London Youth Rowing
- Experience of working with young people and Schools of Secondary age Experience of working with a range of participants, developing an inclusive environment
- Previous experience of coaching rowing or other water sports or activities
- Excellent verbal, written communication and IT skills Ability to work remotely and self-motivated
Desirable Criteria & Qualifications
- Experience rowing on the Lower Thames or leading sessions on water locally to Gravesend
- UKCC Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rowing
- Full UK Driving Licence
- RYA Power Boating Level 2 Certificate Safeguarding & Protecting Young People Course *
*This not a requirement to apply, but the successful applicant will be required to complete the course within the first 6 months of their start date.
This role is subject to an Enhanced DBS check (previously a CRB check).
How to Apply
In order to apply for this role, you should submit:
- An updated CV which shows your full career history with any breaks explained, we recommend that this is no longer than three pages;
- A supporting statement explaining why you are interested in this role, detailing how you are a good candidate for this role and how you fulfil the person specification, again we recommend that this is no longer than two pages;
Please submit the documents via email to the following member of LYR’s SMT:
Emily Coe, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you apply, we will aim to acknowledge your application within 24 hours of receipt. If after that time you have not heard from us, please telephone the LYR office (0203 434 0990) to ensure that it has arrived. Using a secure email address and putting the job title/organisation in the subject line reduces the chances of any email going into spam.
Thank you for taking the time to read this job information pack, we hope that you have found it useful. If you are interested in applying and have questions about the role you would like to ask first, please send an email to email@example.com with the job title/organisation in the subject line and we will get back to you.